My 2010 Summer Adventure starts here:
Phi Phi Beach Resort in Morong, Bataan
Enchanted Kingdom
Our Ilocos getaway was super fun and memorable that I still see it in my dreams. It was a sensory overload, to say the least. We visited Pagudpud for its famous Blue Lagoon Beach and Vigan for its old world charm. We also checked out some local attractions within Ilocos Norte. We stayed overnight at Agua Seda Beach Resort and got the best personalized service at rock-bottom prices.
We left Manila for Ilocos before 7:00 p.m Friday. We had dinner on the road and traveled the night away. We reached Pagudpud after 12 hours. But not before checking out the rustic beauty of Cape Bojeador Lighthouse in Burgos and the spectacular view of the power-generating wind mills in Bangui, Ilocos Norte. I was awestruck and if not for the people I was with, I would have thought I was in a different country. These places were on top of my imaginary coolness scale.

one of the gigantic Bangui wind mills

couple shot

old Cape Bojeador Lighthouse above me

view from the lighthouse
Immediately after breakfast at Agua Seda Beach Resort, most of us decided to enjoy the famous Blue Lagoon beach and swim to our heart's content. The sun's heat may have been bothersome but we didn't care. I suggested Blue Lagoon beach to my officemates because when I did my research, I learned it's cool and laidback and not crowded and commercialized like Saud beach, the other popular beach in Pagudpud. Also, Agua Seda offers the cheapest rates and the best service. Keep that in mind, people.

the beauty that is Blue Lagoon Beach (a.k.a. Maira-ira Beach)

with Speedo girls Albie and Ivy

my requisite beach shot

lake-like Blue Lagoon beach at mid-afternoon

group pic by the boat
Saturday was spent just frolicking on the beach, sleeping in our air-conditioned rooms, eating home-cooked meals and exploring the seashore for picture-taking.

gumamela up close

Blue Lagoon road scene

dinner on the beach front

Ilocos bagnet, anyone?

the Dos Hermanas islands near Blue Lagoon

sitting by the coconut tree

dusk in the sky
We woke up early on Sunday morning. We left the resort early as well, just before 6:30 a.m.

sunrise in Blue Lagoon (no sunset here, though)

where we stayed overnight
We stopped over at Patapat Viaduct, an elevated concrete highway connecting Maharlika Highway to Cagayan. It's only a 10-minute ride from Blue Lagoon. The viaduct awesome, truly an architectural wonder!

side view of Patapat Viaduct

couple shot yet again
Then we headed to Laoag City to gas up and have a Jollibee breakfast. Then we headed to its neighbor town of Batac to check out Marcos Mansion and Museum and the mausoleum where Pres. Ferdinand Marcos is laid to rest. He looked as if he was just sleeping inside the enclosed glass case. Photography is prohibited inside. One word to describe the mausoleum -- creepy! :(

entrance to Marcos' mausoleum

some Marcos memorabilia

with the back of Marcos Mansion as background
Not to be skipped was the town of Paoay. We paid a visit to the popular Paoay Church (a.k. St. Augustine Church) that boasts of its Baroque architecture. It really deserves to be called a UNESCO heritage site and get preserved as such.

Paoay Church is Baroque architecture at its finest

another couple shot

details of Paoay Church walls

I stopped to pick some flowers
Our last stop was Vigan, the place I used to be seeing only in magazines. Now I finally got to see it and boy was I exhilarated! I felt like I was transported to the olden days when life was much simpler and fuller. The bahay na batos and the cobbled streets remind me of the characters in Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo. I was speechless as I soak up the beauty in front of me. Vigan City, which happens to be the capital of Ilocos Sur, was really captivating and a cultural delight in its own right. It made me prouder of our country's rich cultural heritage.Despite the scorching heat of the sun (we were there around 11:30 a.m.), we took a lot of snapshots of Vigan for posterity's sake.

street scene in the heritage city of Vigan

I do!

saw quite a few benches of this kind on the cobbled streets of Vigan

when in Vigan, ride a calesa!
One night and two days in Ilocos, we made it and we had lots of fun! I so love this trip! Thanks to everybody who joined our Ilocos getaway. Many thanks to Agua Seda's owner Ms. Letty Garvida for the warm hospitality. You can reach her at (+63)920-2431832 for inquiries and reservations. Many thanks also to our drivers who drove us to and from Ilocos safely, what an awesome team you have! :)
You can see more photos from our Ilocos getaway in my Facebook album.
If you liked this post and would be interested to get updated with The Life of a Breadwinner, bookmark this site or subscribe to my feeds.
We left Manila for Ilocos before 7:00 p.m Friday. We had dinner on the road and traveled the night away. We reached Pagudpud after 12 hours. But not before checking out the rustic beauty of Cape Bojeador Lighthouse in Burgos and the spectacular view of the power-generating wind mills in Bangui, Ilocos Norte. I was awestruck and if not for the people I was with, I would have thought I was in a different country. These places were on top of my imaginary coolness scale.




Immediately after breakfast at Agua Seda Beach Resort, most of us decided to enjoy the famous Blue Lagoon beach and swim to our heart's content. The sun's heat may have been bothersome but we didn't care. I suggested Blue Lagoon beach to my officemates because when I did my research, I learned it's cool and laidback and not crowded and commercialized like Saud beach, the other popular beach in Pagudpud. Also, Agua Seda offers the cheapest rates and the best service. Keep that in mind, people.





Saturday was spent just frolicking on the beach, sleeping in our air-conditioned rooms, eating home-cooked meals and exploring the seashore for picture-taking.







We woke up early on Sunday morning. We left the resort early as well, just before 6:30 a.m.


We stopped over at Patapat Viaduct, an elevated concrete highway connecting Maharlika Highway to Cagayan. It's only a 10-minute ride from Blue Lagoon. The viaduct awesome, truly an architectural wonder!


Then we headed to Laoag City to gas up and have a Jollibee breakfast. Then we headed to its neighbor town of Batac to check out Marcos Mansion and Museum and the mausoleum where Pres. Ferdinand Marcos is laid to rest. He looked as if he was just sleeping inside the enclosed glass case. Photography is prohibited inside. One word to describe the mausoleum -- creepy! :(



Not to be skipped was the town of Paoay. We paid a visit to the popular Paoay Church (a.k. St. Augustine Church) that boasts of its Baroque architecture. It really deserves to be called a UNESCO heritage site and get preserved as such.




Our last stop was Vigan, the place I used to be seeing only in magazines. Now I finally got to see it and boy was I exhilarated! I felt like I was transported to the olden days when life was much simpler and fuller. The bahay na batos and the cobbled streets remind me of the characters in Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo. I was speechless as I soak up the beauty in front of me. Vigan City, which happens to be the capital of Ilocos Sur, was really captivating and a cultural delight in its own right. It made me prouder of our country's rich cultural heritage.Despite the scorching heat of the sun (we were there around 11:30 a.m.), we took a lot of snapshots of Vigan for posterity's sake.




One night and two days in Ilocos, we made it and we had lots of fun! I so love this trip! Thanks to everybody who joined our Ilocos getaway. Many thanks to Agua Seda's owner Ms. Letty Garvida for the warm hospitality. You can reach her at (+63)920-2431832 for inquiries and reservations. Many thanks also to our drivers who drove us to and from Ilocos safely, what an awesome team you have! :)
You can see more photos from our Ilocos getaway in my Facebook album.
If you liked this post and would be interested to get updated with The Life of a Breadwinner, bookmark this site or subscribe to my feeds.
Get the latest updates on the Life of a Breadwinner by subscribing to my RSS feeds. This entry was posted
on 12 May 2010
at Wednesday, May 12, 2010
and is filed under
Agua Seda Beach Resort,
Batac,
Ilocos Getaway,
Maira-ira Beach,
Marcos Mansion,
Pagudpud,
Paoay Church,
Saud Beach,
Summer 2010,
Summer Adventures in the Philippines,
Vigan
.




