I'm the happiest person on earth at the moment. I just got my NSO-authenticated birth certificate a few minutes ago. Thank you to B (my officemate) for securing it on my behalf. My application for an NSO birth certificate was no easy feat as I had to file a petition to have my name changed. No, not my entire name but only the first letter of it. From letter A to letter E, that is.

It took me more than a year before getting my very own corrected, NSO-authenticated birth certificate. Don't ask me why it took that long. I have no answer. Actually, the entire process (from Day 1 up to the end) is too tiring to remember that I won't even dare. But to give you an idea, it included going to my birthplace thrice, only to be told by the local civil registrar on my final visit that I could file my petition in Manila, in the form of a "migrant" petition. The NSO Main Office personnel where I posed the inquiry prior to the filing of my petition didn't tell me about that option. If I had been advised properly, life would've been much easier for me.

If you think the ordeal ended after I had received the original and duplicate copies of the decision made by the local civil registrar and approved by the National Statistic Office (NSO), you're wrong. The final step in applying for an NSO-authenticated birth certificate at NSO-Quezon City ensued. It took them more than a month before releasing it, and I was already lucky on that. B (my officemate) has a friend at NSO who made all the follow ups at the Document Management Division.

Staring at my NSO birth certificate now, I can't help but feel ecstatic. You see, this most treasured official record has many uses:

1. enrollment in university and other educational purposes
2. securing a passport
3. getting a job overseas
4. getting a local job (select companies)
5. marriage application

(Did I miss something? Lemme know.)

Reminder to parents and/or local civil registrar personnel: Please make sure you put only the correct entries on the child's birth certificate to avoid hassles in the future.

So there.

NSO Contact Information:

National Statistics Office
Solicarel Building
Ramon Magsaysay Boulevard
Sta. Mesa, Manila 1008
P. O. Box 779

NSO-Civil Registration Department
3rd Floor, Vibal Building
Times Street corner EDSA
West Triangle, Quezon City 1100

NSO Hotlines:
(+632) 926-73-33 DL
(+632) 926-73-29 and 926-99-73 F

Website:http://www.census.gov.ph
For NSO Birth Certificate Online Delivery, click here.


If you liked this post and would be interested to get updated with The Life of a Breadwinner, bookmark this site or subscribe to my feeds.

Get the latest updates on the Life of a Breadwinner by subscribing to my RSS feeds. This entry was posted on 25 August 2009 at Tuesday, August 25, 2009 and is filed under , , , , .

3 comments

Three, in my family of 4, had a problem with their birth certificates. I sometimes wonder what type of clerks existed before, the ones who did the birth certificates. My sister had to spend big bucks and had to go to court just to correct a problem with her birth certificate! I too am supposed to have a second name. Unfortunately that was not picked up by the clerk. So I had to live with only 1 name. Two names would have been more interesting. :)I guess you could say I am quite frustrated. :|

August 29, 2009 at 8:52 PM

@april: oh, that was terrible. NSO, just like most government offices, needs comprehensive reforms. what do you think? :)

September 8, 2009 at 4:58 PM
Anonymous  

hi im mark and planning to fixed my NSO birth also, but i didnt have any contacts inside.. can u help me to get contact pls.. email me... mrk_slv_82@hotmail.com thanx...

March 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails