I was having a little chitchat with a male co-worker in the restaurant last night (while waiting for the guests) and at one point, our conversation went to his wife having a hard time finding a nursing job. I learned she's been doing volunteer work for this public hospital in Manila for a year now. My co-worker said her wife wants to work abroad just like her sister who's a successful nurse in London. But to be able to do so, she needs to earn the requisite work experience first.
I admire his wife for being so patient in doing volunteer work that pays zero salary. I mean, he buys nursing scrubs every now and then to look presentable and yet he gets nothing. Sometimes my co-worker would suggest to her that she just gets one of those cheap scrubs so they could save on money.
The scarcity of nursing jobs in the Philippines is most felt by the families of nurses. Instead of making money, these nurses do volunteer work and buy nursing uniforms at their own expense. Sad, but that's the reality of life for them. But I believe the government is working on this one by promoting medical tourism in the country. Medical tourism is a way of attracting foreigners to seek medical help in a particular country that offers inexpensive but quality health care. This way, more nursing jobs would be created and more nurses would get employed.
I can only hope for the success of medical tourism in the Philippines, and of course for those nurses who, like my co-worker's wife, are still hoping that one day they'll find their dream job, too.
If you liked this post and would be interested to get updated with The Life of a Breadwinner, bookmark this site or subscribe to my feeds.
I admire his wife for being so patient in doing volunteer work that pays zero salary. I mean, he buys nursing scrubs every now and then to look presentable and yet he gets nothing. Sometimes my co-worker would suggest to her that she just gets one of those cheap scrubs so they could save on money.
The scarcity of nursing jobs in the Philippines is most felt by the families of nurses. Instead of making money, these nurses do volunteer work and buy nursing uniforms at their own expense. Sad, but that's the reality of life for them. But I believe the government is working on this one by promoting medical tourism in the country. Medical tourism is a way of attracting foreigners to seek medical help in a particular country that offers inexpensive but quality health care. This way, more nursing jobs would be created and more nurses would get employed.
I can only hope for the success of medical tourism in the Philippines, and of course for those nurses who, like my co-worker's wife, are still hoping that one day they'll find their dream job, too.
If you liked this post and would be interested to get updated with The Life of a Breadwinner, bookmark this site or subscribe to my feeds.
Get the latest updates on the Life of a Breadwinner by subscribing to my RSS feeds. This entry was posted
on 08 April 2011
at Friday, April 08, 2011
and is filed under
Filipino Nurses,
Medical Scrubs,
Nursing Jobs,
Nursing Uniforms,
Philippine Nursing,
Scarcity of Jobs
.




