I was down with fever on Monday due to a swollen tonsil. Yesterday, I already reported to work (even if I didn't feel well yet) because I had to finish some stuff. Today, I'm having a mild case of cough and cold but other than that, I think I'm okay. I'm actually taking Ascof Lagundi, an herbal cough remedy recommended to me by friends, to get rid of my cough and cold.

ascof

The ASCOF Forte I bought last night from Watsons for P160+ is in liquid form (syrup). It has menthol and is sugar-free. (Ascof Lagundi is also available in capsules and tablets.) Five mililiters or one teaspoon is prescribed for adults like me. Is it effective? I think so. After I took a teaspoon last night after dinner, my throat dried up, but it was the good kind. I was also able to cough up a considerable amount of icky, yucky, yellow phlegm. My voice is still hoarse, though.

PhilippineHerbalMedicine.org has this to say about Lagundi:
Lagundi (scientific name: Vitex negundo) is a shrub that grows in the Philippines. It is one of the ten herbal medicines endorsed by the Philippine Department of Health as an effective herbal medicine with proven therapeutic value. Commonly known in the Ilocos region as dangla, lagundi has been clinically tested to be effective in the treatment of colds, flu, bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis, and pharyngitis. Studies have shown that Lagundi can prevent the body's production of leukotrienes, which are released during an asthma attack. Lagundi contains Chrysoplenol D, a substance with anti-histamine and muscle relaxant properties. Even in Japan, lagundi is becoming recognized as an effective herbal medicine, especially since researches have shown that it contains properties that make it an expectorant and it has been reported to function as a tonic as well. More than that, most of the parts of the lagundi plant are associated with medicinal value.

We'll see in the coming days how Ascof Lagundi will fare in eliminating cough and cold in my system. I'm just happy to learn we now have more herbal medicines available in the market today. I still prefer the natural way when it comes to treating a sickness or disease.

If you liked this post and would be interested to get updated with The Life of a Breadwinner, bookmark this site or subscribe to my feeds.

Get the latest updates on the Life of a Breadwinner by subscribing to my RSS feeds. This entry was posted on 03 March 2010 at Wednesday, March 03, 2010 and is filed under , , , , , , , .

2 comments

Ascof Lagundi is really effective. I tried it myself when I had cough and swollen tonsils before.

you should also gargle lukewarm water with salt after brushing your teeth at night and before going to bed. it's very effective to flush out all the bacteria in the mouth.

March 5, 2010 at 7:13 AM

@nicely: thanks for the tip superf, will try the gargle thing asap. :)

March 5, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails