
My brother is my first ever scholar. I can still remember the days when he came here in Manila to live with me. That was April of 2005. I was clueless on how I should do it. By that, I mean the pile of expenses and the added responsibilities I had to deal with. But I was a survivor like that. I was able to manage everything but he had to absorb my excesses. Those times when I would be irritable and all that. But I can say I did everything to give him a comfortable life. I know he was aware of that.
I was fortunate to have a brother who understood our economic status. We would have arguments and quarrels but as with any sibling fight, we would always end up dealing with things in an adult manner. He may not be the perfect brother, but at least he knew very well what he needed to get and what he needed to avoid. He has never gotten me into trouble. He's never been into any, himself. I never had problems with his peers. They seemed to know how to behave. They influenced him positively.
Time flew fast and my brother has now graduated from college. I feel overjoyed. This is our collective triumph. My family's, my brother's and myself. We all dreamed of that day to come. And it did. It reminds me, once again, about the power of the human spirit. That if we will set our sights to something, we can accomplish it. Obstacles are always there, it's just a matter of moving forward and actually doing it.
One down, two to go. But I'm sure this time, I have my brother to help me with the "two."
The value of education in today's world is immeasurable. I'm just glad that I had the courage to finance the studies of my siblings despite my meager income. There were times in the past that I'd get broke and anxiety would follow. But now when I come to think of it, I realize I never got penniless. In fact, there would always be enough money at my disposal to support the needs of my siblings in school. And that makes me very grateful to God.
Just like in the case of my brother, I know each graduate has a story to tell. I hope these stories inspire more people so that they may also feel strengthened in faith and have the courage to do what they think is impossible.
Congratulations to all the graduates of S.Y. 2009!




