Philippine Congress Welcomes New Speaker  

Posted by edelweiza in ,

After an exhausting exchange of privilege speeches, the legislators have come up with a final decision of appointing a new Speaker in the person of Davao City Representative Prospero Nograles. Former House Speaker Jose De Venecia, who has held the speakership for more than a decade, has been rendered powerless last midnight. Or so I believe.



I was glued to the television last night, watching with mixed emotions as this yet another drama unfolded. I hoped our legislators knew what they were doing. Just like the majority of Filipinos, I have seen how politics, and politicians for that matter, turned a golden opportunity to dust. I think it is high time for our legislators to vindicate themselves and prove to the people that they did not waste a copious amount of government time and resources for nothing.

Ideally, the first step that should be taken is a thorough housekeeping. After the House has been fixed and the alliance has been restored, they could now continue serving their mandate of addressing the critical issues confronting their constituencies.

May it be a personal vendetta or an exercise of democracy, the result of this change of leadership in the Philippine Congress has yet to be seen. One thing is certain, though, this is not the end of the turmoil in the House.

Image Source: ABS-CBN

Get the latest updates on the Life of a Breadwinner by subscribing to my RSS feeds. This entry was posted on 05 February 2008 at Tuesday, February 05, 2008 and is filed under , .

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails