
Some people take pride of their ears. They say having a good pair of ears is already a gift. They balance one’s face and prove that proportion is a must. They are also vital in daily living. They aid in almost everything we do, from appreciating sound to hearing commands at work and communicating with other people. A set of ears is very important to ensure you are never left out in this world. You really cannot function as efficiently as you want without those body parts.
Some people take pride of their ability to feel. For them, feeling conveys emotions. When you touch something, you do not just satisfy your hands but you also try to establish a connection. When you are alone, you try to absorb your surroundings and vice versa. When you are with people close to your hearts, may they be your loved ones or your friends, you bond with them and feed each other’s soul with laughter, good conversations and lasting memories. Truly, the ability to feel is more than just a physical thing.
Some people take pride of their ability to taste. For them, the mouth and the taste buds that come with it do not only aid in nourishing the body through the food we eat, but also pave the way for the different tastes to get appreciated. They say that food is a passion in itself that can be best explored and enjoyed by people with discriminating taste buds. This is especially true in cultures where food is an integral part of.
Of all the senses given to men, eyesight is the most important to me.
I was born with a big pair of eyes, the kind that nasty children make fun of. Given that, you can already imagine my childhood. I can’t really say that I had a painful childhood. I believe I had a wonderful one despite the way they judged my eyes. Whenever the kids in our neighborhood played, my big pair of eyes would give me the best advantage.
I was gifted with a sharp eyesight. With this, I could easily find where my playmates hid during taguan. I could easily avoid being hit by the ball during tatsingbol. I could easily see the easiest way out during habulan. The list can go on and on. But one fact remains, my eyes saw me through every game I joined in when I was still a carefree child.
As I grew up, my big pair of eyes had never been a problem. People my age are now more mature and see me differently. No one dares to tease me about my eyes anymore except for some family members who do it more to get my attention (I live a busy life!) than for fun. I am no longer affected at all.
Usually, I receive compliments for my big pair of eyes. People, especially those I have met for the first time, would often say that my eyes are beautiful and suit me perfectly. I just answer with a sweet smile and a sincere thank you. But deep inside myself, I am much more elated.
I believe that there is more with my big pair of eyes than beauty. My good eyesight has remained with me until these days. It is very important to me because I can function as efficiently as I want with my good eyesight.
They say the eyes are windows to the soul. I agree. But aside from that, there are a thousand and one things that you can enjoy doing best with a good eyesight.
My big pair of eyes is my window to the world. It allows me to see and read every little detail in something. I can tell if a perfume smells nice just by looking at the label. I can tell if a song is beautiful just by looking at the lyrics. I can tell the emotions of a friend just by looking at his facial expressions and observing his body language. I can tell if a food is delicious just by how it is prepared. Truly, my eyes give me most of the information I need to be aware of the things around me.
I don’t say that having a good eyesight alone can ensure a beautiful and satisfying life. I just think that a good eyesight is very important to one’s well-being. That is why I take good care of my eyes by eating the right food and using them properly. For me, a good eyesight is like a vast ocean, the farther you sail, the more colorful and adventurous your exploration will be. I’m glad I have a big pair of eyes that functions really well and enables me to do things efficiently and appreciate the beauty of the world where I belong. :)




